Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Beach Patrol!!!

I do like fireworks.  I do.
I just don't like the means of finding/watching them.
I don't like crowds and especially lately with my bit of balance issues and paranoia issues I would rather not bother.
I did go this time because I knew Ami would get a kick out of them.

The entire beach family went except Molly the dog so it was quite an expedition.
We drove a ways down Emerald Drive and parked across the firework pier and a very populated beach- our destination. 
As we parked, we noticed Ami was asleep and decided to try to let her continue.
We put her in her stroller and trudged with the pullulating crowd.
Aunt Jecca and I noticed the great amount of Hillbillies and were grateful this absolutely was not Ocean City.
We walked down the little boardwalk to the beach and what made the experience more ok was that we stayed near the entrance of the beach near the top of the beach.
I rolled my eyes as the blaring radio station played anthemic patriotic songs- I know it was trying to evoke emotion.  The fireworks started pretty shortly after we got settled and I didn't even notice if the radio was on 
or not.



There were squid fireworks, chandelight fireworks, heart-shaped fireworks, fireworks that shot up with a grand squiggling entrance, some with an alarming pulsing red entrance...  I have to say my favorite part is the ghost entrails. I really love watching the choo choo train smoke signals blow across the sky.




And through the applause, cracks, fizzles, and overhead BOOMS, Ami stayed asleep.
It wasn't until we brought her to the van and buckled her up when she started to wake up.
We stopped at the turn of the parking lot when she saw the last 3 fireworks off the pier through the front window of the van. She said, "What's that?"
So...  We pointed out all the lingering fireworks we saw along Emerald Drive.
As we pulled into the house driveway, she said, "More?"

We told Brandon her fascination so he and Josh decided to pull out the fireworks Brandon brought and shoot them off for her. 

I can't tell you what kind they were but I know they were loud and shot up in the air- I can also tell you it was very windy. Some fireworks shot into the dunes.  Bad news, but no harm was done.

We were applauding and having a good time until we saw the headlights driving downwind towards us on the beach.

Fawk.

"Beach Patrol!!!!!!"    "Beach Patrol!!!!"   "STOP!!!"

Because Brandon's and Josh's backs were facing the wind and we were making ruckus the whole time, it took them a while to realize the situation.

They hauled ass.

Mariel later said that Ami thought it was funny we all went in the house so quickly.
And that was the grand finale.

Later on, Ami saw Mema playing Solitaire and asked her if she could play.

No comments:

Post a Comment